Dr William Chi Wai WONG
Clinical Associate Professor & Chief of Research, Department of Family Medicine and Primary Care, The University of Hong Kong
Honorary Consultant, Dept of Family Medicine & Primary Healthcare, Hong Kong West Cluster, Hospital Authority, Hong Kong
Chief of Service, Dept of General Practice, HKU-Shenzhen Hospital, Shenzhen, China PRC
Honorary Consultant, Dept of Family Medicine & Primary Healthcare, Hong Kong West Cluster, Hospital Authority, Hong Kong
Chief of Service, Dept of General Practice, HKU-Shenzhen Hospital, Shenzhen, China PRC
- MB ChB (Edin) MD (Edin) MA (Dist. Lon) MPH (CUHK) DFFP (UK) DCH (Lon) DHCL (Swansea) FRCGP (UK) FRACGP (Aus) MFTM RCPS (Glasg), Specialist in Family Medicine (Hong Kong)
Key Research Areas
- Family Medicine & primary care
- Health promotion & equity
- Infectious diseases including sexual health
- Wong WCW. Editorial: Research in Primary are: A means to an end. Hong Kong Practitioner. [Invited editorial] 2019;41: 25-26.
- Zhang HP, Wong WCW, Fan S, Zhang Y, Yip P. Sexual Coercion among Hong Kong Chinese Adolescents: The role of family factors. 2019; Children and Youth Services Review. 101: 201-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2019.03.034
- Lau BHP, Liu L, Chan CHY, Chan WLW, Wong WCW. De-sexualizing partner notification: A qualitative study on young people with chlamydia in Hong Kong. Sexual Health 2018. (Revised and resubmitted)
- Wong WCW, Song L, See C, Lau STH, Sun WH, Choi WY, Tucker JD. Description of the Development of a Crowdsourced, Peer-led Intervention for Safer Dating App Use. Journal of Medical Internet Research. 2018. (Accepted for publication)
- Lau STH, Choi KWY, Sun WH, Chen J, Mak W, Tucker J, . Study protocol for a peer-led web-based intervention to promote safe usage of dating applications amongst young adults: A cluster randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2018. (Accepted for publication)
- , Yuen WYW, Tang CSK, Holroyd H, Fong DYT. Evaluation and Mechanism Analysis of HIV Prevention Programme Using Resilience Framework Among Female Sex Workers: A Randomised Controlled Trial. Preventive Medicine. 2018. (Accepted for publication)
- , Lau STH, *Choi EPH, Tucker J, Saunders J, Fairley C. A Systematic Literature Review of Reviews on the Effectiveness of Chlamydia Screening. Epidemiologic Reviews. 2018. (Accepted for publication)
- Lian J; McGhee SM; So C, Chau J, Wong CKH; , Lam CLK. Long-term cost-effectiveness of a Patient Empowerment Programme for type 2 diabetes mellitus in primary care. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism. 2019;21(1):73-83.
- Qingqi Chen QQ, Zhe L, Yan JY, Liang W, . Effectiveness of Motivational Interviewing on Improving Care for Patients with Type 2 Diabetes in China: A Randomized Controlled Trial. BMC Health Services Research. 2018. (Accepted for publication)
- Li WJ, Kung K, Holroyd E, Hui C, . Quitting Smoking in Mainland China: A New Role for Hospital Based Nurses. Holistic Nursing Practice. 2019;33(1): 45-51.
- , Lo YR, Jiang S, Peng M, Zhu S, Kidd MR, Wang XC, Chan PL, Ong JJ. Improving the hepatitis cascade: assessing hepatitis testing and its management in primary health care in China. Family Practice. 2018:35(6):731-737.
- , Yuen W, Tang C, Leung P, Chan M, Chen W, Ip P. Physical And Psychological Child Maltreatment In China: The Roles Of District Development Stage And Social Support In A Developmental-ecological Framework. Child: Care, Health and Development. 2018 Apr 10.
- , Cheng S, Miu HY, Ong JJ, Chen J, Loper KA. Contextual factors associated with consistent condom use and condom self-efficacy amongst African asylum seekers and refugees in Hong Kong. Infection, Disease & Health. 2018; 23(1):23-32.
- Ong JJ, Peng M, Zhu S, Lo YR, Fairley CK, Kidd MR, Roland M, Jiang S, . Opportunities and barriers to STI testing in community health centres in China: a nationwide survey. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2017; 93(8):566-71.
- Ho FK, Louie LH, Wong WH, Chan KL, Tiwari A, Chow CB, Ho W, , Chan M, Chen EY, Cheung YF. A sports-based youth development program, teen mental health, and physical fitness: an RCT. Pediatrics. 2017;140(4).
- Sun WH, Wong CKH, . A Peer-led, Social Media-delivered Safer Sex Intervention for Chinese College Students: A Randomised Controlled Trial. Journal of medical Internet research. 2017;19(8).
- Liu RH, , Lam CLK, Kung K, Li C, Chen QQ. An assessment on the quality of general practice care in a general hospital: Study of Patient Enablement and the factors with enablement. Chinese Journal of General Practice. 2017; 16(6):434-38.
- , Zhu SZ, Ong J, Peng MH, Lam CLK, Kidd MR, Roland M, *Jiang SF. Primary Care Workforce and Continuous Medical Education in China: Lessons to learn from a Nationwide Survey. BMJ Open. 2017;7(7):e015145;
- , Holroyd E, Miu HY, Wong CS, Zhao Y, Zhang J. Secrets, shame and guilt: HIV disclosure in rural Chinese families from the perspective of caregivers. Vulnerable Children and Youth Studies. 2017;30:1-12.
- Lian JX, McGhee SM, Chau J, Wong CKH, Lam CLK, . Systematic review on the cost-effectiveness of self-management education programme for Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2017;127:21-34.
- Lian JX, McGhee SM, So C, Chau J, Wong CKH, , Lam CLK. Five-year cost-effectiveness of patient empowerment programme (PEP) for type2 diabetes mellitus in primary care. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism. 2017;19(9):1312-1316
- , Cheng S, Miu HYH, Chen J, Loper KA, Holroyd E. Mental health of African asylum-seekers and refugees in Hong Kong: Using the social determinants of health framework. BMC Public Health. 2017;17(1):153.
- , Jiang SF, Ong JJ, Peng MH, Wan E, Zhu SZ, Lam CLK, Kidd M, Roland M. Bridging the gaps between patients and primary care in China: A nationwide representative survey. Annals of Family Medicine. 2017;15(3):237-45.
- , Zhao Y, Wong NS, Parish WL, Miu HY, Yang LG, Tucker J, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of chlamydia infection in Hong Kong: A population-based geospatial household survey and testing. PloS One. 2016;12(2):e0172561.
- Sun WH, Miu HYH, Wong CKH, Tucker JD, . Assessing Participation and Effectiveness of Peer-led Approach in Youth Sexual Health Education: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis in More Developed Countries. Journal of Sex Research. 2016;1-14.
- Zhao Y, Wong CK, Miu HY, Yuen WW, Chin WY, Luo T, . Translation and Validation of a Condom Self-Efficacy Scale (CSES) Chinese Version. AIDS Education and Prevention. 2016;28(6):499-510.
- , Cheng S, Holroyd E. Chen J, Loper KA, Tran L, Miu HYH. A lost tribe in the city: health status and needs of African asylum seekers and refugees in Hong Kong. International Journal for Equity in Health. 2016;15(1):158.
- Wong CKH, Lam CLK Lam, Wan EYF, Chan AKC, Pak CH, Chan FWK, , Evaluation of Patient-reported Outcomes Data in Structured Diabetes Education Intervention: Two-year Follow-up Data of Patient Empowerment Programme. Endocrine. 2016;54(2):422-432.
- Tucker J, Wong B, Nie JB, Kleiman A, and the Physician Trust Team (). Rebuilding Patient-Physician Trust in China. Lancet. 2016; 388:755.
- Zhang HP, , Ip P, Fan S, *Yip PSF. Health Status and Risk Behaviors of Sexual Minorities Among Chinese Adolescents: A School-Based Survey. Journal of Homosexuality. 2017;64(3):382-396.
- Qidwai W, , Nanji K, Robinson N. The role of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) in sexual and reproductive health. European Journal of Integrative Medicine. 2016;(8):1–3.
- Yuen WWY, Tran L, Wong CKH, Holroyd E, Tang CSK, . Psychological health and HIV transmission amongst female sex workers: A systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS Care. 2016;28(7):816-24.
- Wong CKH, , Wan YF, Wong WHT, Chan FWK, Lam CLK. Macrovascular and Microvascular Disease in Obese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Attending Structured Diabetes Education Program: A Population-based Propensity-matched Cohort Analysis of Patient Empowerment Programme (PEP). Endocrine. 2016;53(2):412-22.
- Yuen WW, , Tang CS, Holroyd E, Tiwari AF, Fong DY, Chin WY. Promoting resilience for HIV prevention in female sex workers in Hong Kong: a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet. 2015; 386:S24.
- Mash R, Almeida M, , Kumar R, Von Pressentin K. The roles and training of primary care doctors: China, India, Brazil and South Africa. Human Resources for Health. 2015;13(1):93.
- Tucker JD, Cheng Y, Wong B, Gong N, Nie JB, Zhu W, McLaughlin MM, Xie RS, Deng YH, Huang MJ, , Lan P, Liu HL, Maio W, Kleinman A. Patient– physician mistrust and violence against physicians in Guangdong Province, China: a qualitative study. BMJ Open. 2015;5:e008221. DOI:10.1136/bmjopen-2015- 008221
- Zhang HP, , Ip P, Lai GWF, Lam TH, Lam KF, Fan S, Lee A, Paul S.F. Yip FSF. A study of violence among Hong Kong young adults and associated substance use, risky sexual behaviors, and pregnancy. Violence and Victims. 2015; 31(5):985-996.
- Zhao YP, Luo TY, Tucker JD, . Risk Factors of HIV and Other Sexually Transmitted Infections in China: A Systematic Review of Reviews. PLoS one. 2015;10(10): e0140426. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0140426
- Wong CKH, , Wan YF, Wong WHT, Chan FWK, Lam CLK. Effect of a structured diabetes education programme in primary care on hospitalizations and emergency department visits among people with Type 2 diabetes mellitus: results from the Patient Empowerment Programme. Diabetic medicine. 2016;33(10):1427-36.
- Carlos KH Wong, , YF Wan, Winnie HT Wong, Frank WK Chan, Cindy LK Lam, Increased number of Structured Diabetes Education Attendance was not associated with the Improvement in Patient-reported Health-related Quality of Life: Results from Patient Empowerment Programme (PEP). Health and quality of life outcomes 2015;13:126 DOI: 10.1186/s12955-015-0324-3
- Wong CKH, , Wan YF, Chan AKC, Chan FWC, Lam CLK. Patient Empowerment Programme (PEP) and Risk of Microvascular Diseases among Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Primary Care: A Population-based Propensity Matched Cohort Study. Diabetes Care 2015;38(8):e116-e117 DOI: 10.2337/dc14-2213
- Wong CKH, , Wan YF, Chan AKC, Chung KL, Chan FWK, Lam CLK. Effect of a Structured Diabetes Education Program in Primary Care on Hospitalizations and Emergency Department Visits among Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Results from the Patient Empowerment Programme (PEP). Diabetes Med 2015 (Under publication)
- Wong CKH, , Wan YF, Chan AKC, Chung KL, Chan FWK, Lam CLK. Patient Empowerment Programme in Primary Care Reduced All-cause Mortality and Cardiovascular Diseases in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Population-based Propensity-Matched Cohort Study. Diabetes Obesity and Metabolism 2014 DOI: 10.1111/dom.12397
- , Ho PSY, Liang J, Holroyd EA, Lam CLK, Pau AMY. Road to better health and integration: a Delphi study on health service models for Hong Kong migrants. International Journal for Equity in Health 2014; 13: 127. MS ID: 8774894413998104
- Zhang ,H.P., Wong, W.C.W., Ip, P., Fan, S., & Yip, P.S.F. Intimate partner violence among Hong Kong young adults: Prevalence, risk factors and associated health problems. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. 2014. doi: 10.1177/0886260514552442
- Wong CKH, , Lam CLK, Wan KF, Wong WHT, Chung KL, Dai D, Tsui ELH, Fong DYT. Effects of Patient Empowerment Programme (PEP) on Clinical Outcomes and Health Service Utilization in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Primary Care: An Observational Matched Cohort Study. PLoS one. 2014;9(5):e95328. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0095328
- Ho PSY, Ho CKL, , and Pau AMY. The seven-year struggle: injustices at home for Chinese immigrant women in Hong Kong. Inter-Asia Cultural Studies. 2014;15(1):154-163. DOI:10.1080/14649373.2014.872828
- Yuen WYW, , Holroyd E, Tang, CSK. Resilience to work-related stress from the voices of women in sex work. Qualitative Health Research. 2014;24(9):1232-41.doi: 10.1177/1049732314544968.
- Ong J, Temple-Smith MJ, , McNamee K, Fairley CK. When two is better than one: Differences in characteristics associated with women using condoms only compared to those combined with an effective contraception in Victoria, Australia. Journal of Women's Health. 2014;23(2):168-174.
- Ong J, Temple-Smith MJ, , McNamee K, Fairley CK. Prevalence of and characteristics associated with use of withdrawal as a contraceptive practice in women in Victoria, Australia. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. 2013;45(2):74–78.
- Ong J, , Lee A, Holroyd EA, Huang, Chan YM. Sexual activity and adolescent health risk behaviors amongst high school students in three ethnic Chinese urban populations. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2013;22(23-24):3270-79.
- Ong J, Temple-Smith MJ, , McNamee K, Fairley CK. Contraception matters: Indicators of poor usage of contraception in sexually active women attending family planning clinics in Victoria, Australia. BMC Public Health 2013;12:1108.
- , Fong T, Chan C, Holroyd E. Hong Kong's female sex workers: Media construction of health and social stigma. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research. 2013;2(1):59-65.
- , Kidd MR, Tucker JD. Mainstreaming HIV services for men who have sex with men: The role of general practitioners. [Commissioned Editorial] Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2012;88:125e131.
- Chen JY, , BCF Chiu. Strengthening Evidence-based Family Medicine in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Medical Journal. 2012;18(6):540-541.
- , Yim YL, Leung TN, Lynn H, Ling DC. Prevalence and risk factors of sexually transmitted infections in female sex workers in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Medical Journal. 2012;18(Suppl 3):S42-6.
- , Luk CW, Kidd MR. Is there a role for primary care clinicians in providing care in HIV treatment? A systematic literature review. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2012;88(2):125-131.
- Fung CSC, . Standard of care: How can we safeguard it? [Invited editorial] Hong Kong Practitioner. 2012;34(2): 49-51.
- , Leung PWS. Midnight Blue. HIV behavioural risks and the role of work environment among Chinese male sex workers in Hong Kong. AIDS Care. 2012;24(3):340-7.
- Mercer SW, Griffiths SM, Lam CLK, Lee A, , Lam TP, Hillier S, Philips DR, Jones RH. Incentives and barriers to adopting the family doctor model in Hong Kong: an in-depth qualitative study of the views, knowledge, and attitudes of patients. Hong Kong Medical Journal. 2011;17(3 Suppl 3):25-27.
- Ma CYY, . Physicians as pharmacists in Hong Kong: time for re-evaluation? Journal of Community Medicine & Health Education. 2011; 1:e101.
- . The battle of HIV among Chinese MSM must be re-thought. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2011;87(4):263.
- Leung PWS, , Tang CSK, Lee A. Attitudes and child abuse reporting behaviours among Hong Kong GPs. Family Practice. 2011;28(2):195-201.
- Tang CSK, , Chen WQ, Leung PWS, Lee A, Ling DC. Health Compromising Behaviors Among Chinese Adolescents: Role of Physical Abuse, School Experience, and Social Support. Journal of Health Psychology. 2011;16(3):457-466.
- , Leung PWS, Lynn, HSY. Sexually Transmitted Infections among Female Sex Workers in Hong Kong: The role of migration status. Journal of Travel Medicine. 2011;18(1):1-7.
- , Holroyd EA, Bingham A. Stigma and Sex Work: From the prospective of female sex workers in Hong Kong. Sociology of Health and Illness 2011;33(1):50-65.
- Ng, G, Li P, Chan U, . Can Mediterranean diet reduce the effects of lipodystrophy syndrome in people living with HIV? A pilot randomised controlled trial. Sexual Health. 2011;8(1): 43-51.
- , Holroyd EA, Lee A, Wong JCP, Wong SYS, Leung PWS. Involving The Hard to Reach: Developing and evaluating a sexual health program for early school leavers in Hong Kong. Sex Education. 2011;11(01): 77-97.
- , CS Fairley. General Parctice: Sexual health consultation for men who have sex with men. British Medical Journal. 2010;340:c958.
- Bakhbakhi D, , Zhang JB. HIV and Sexual risk Behaviours amongst Intravenous Drug Users at Rehabilitation Centre in Rural China. Journal of AIDS and HIV Research. 2010;2(7):131-137.
- , Fong B, and Chan PKSC. Acceptance of HPV vaccination among first year female university students in Hong Kong. Sexual Health. 2009;6(4):264-271.
- Lee A, Wong SYS, Tsang KK, Ho G, , Cheng F. Understanding of suicidality and correlates amongst Chinese secondary students in Hong Kong. Health Promotion International. 2009;24(2):156-165.
- You JHS, , Ip M, Lee NLS. Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Influenza and Pneumococcal Vaccination for Hong Kong Elderly in Long-term Care Facilities. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2009;63(11):906-911.
- . Family Medicine, Healthcare & Society: Essays by Dr MK Rajakumar. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health. 2009;21(4):520. [Invited book review]
- , Chen WQ, Tang CSK, Goggins WB, Leung PWS. Individual, Family and Community determinants of child maltreatment in China. Social Science & Medicine. 2009;68(10):1819-1825.
- , Leung PSW, Tang CSK, Chen WQ, Lee A, Ling DC. To unfold a hidden epidemic: Prevalence of child maltreatment and its health implications among high school students in Guangzhou, China. Child abuse & Neglect. 2009;33(7):441-450.
- Fung CSC, , Tam MSM. Familial and extramarital relations among truck drivers crossing the Hong Kong-China border. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. 2009;35(3):239-44.
|2019-2022||International Family Medicine Integrated Program (“医防融合”国际全科医学项目组牵头单位).|
|2020-2024||Key discipline of General Practice (临床重点培育专科).|
|2019-2020||Adapting and Promoting Web-based Intervention for Safer Social Media Use in China.|
|2019-2021||Preference and cost-effectiveness of case detection and management for chlamydia control in Hong Kong.|
|2019-2021||Health & Health Service Research Fund, Food & Health Bureau, HKSAR (#18171282, $1,139,266) “Preference and cost-effectiveness of case detection and management for chlamydia control in Hong Kong”.|
|2019-2021||Gilead Pharmaceutical Research Grants (RMB 1,914,174), “Crowdsourcing to Promote HCV Testing and Linkage-to-Care in China: A Randomized Controlled Trial”.|
|Sept- Nov 2018||Seed Fund for Basic Research for Resubmission of GRF/ECS Proposals >3.5 ($56,000), “E-health Mobile Application to Improve Testing and Control of Sexually Transmitted Infections Amongst Hong Kong’s Youth: A Randomised Controlled Trial”.|
|Sept- Nov 2017||Seed Fund for Basic Research for Resubmission of GRF/ECS Proposals >3.5 ($40,000), “Development, implementation and evaluation of opportunistic chlamydia screening for females and young males amongst healthcare facilities in Hong Kong.”|
|2017-2019||Health Care and Promotion Fund, Food & Health Bureau, HKSAR (#09160275, $499,175), “StickyRiceLove: Development, evaluation and dissemination of an innovative peer-led sexual health social media promotion”.|
|2015- 2018||Shenzhen Science and Technology Innovation Committee (#JCYJ20150331142757385, RMB 150,000), “RCT to examine the effectiveness of empowerment program on self-managing type 2 diabetes (DM) by using motivational interviewing (MI).”|
|2015- 2016||RGC Seed fund for basic research (#201411159004, $47,000), “Survey of the attitudes and needs of integrated HIV and STI services in community health centers in China”.|
|2013- 2016||General Research Fund, University Grant Council (#782613, $803,548), “A Novel Approach to HIV Prevention: A Randomised Controlled Trial of Personal Effective Programme for Female Sex Workers in Hong Kong”.|
|2013- 2016||Health & Medical Research Fund, Food & Health Bureau, HKSAR (#13121242, $1,280,580), “To Determine Prevalence and Contextual Risk Factors of Sexually Transmitted Infections in Hong Kong”.|
|2012- 2013||AIDS Trust Fund, Food & Health Bureau, HKSAR (#MSS204R, $331,840), “A randomised Controlled Trial to promote Resilience for HIV Prevention amongst Female Sex Workers in Hong Kong”.|
|2012-2013||AIDS Trust Fund, Food & Health Bureau, HKSAR (#MSS200R, $344,478), “Identifying sexual health behaviours and HIV risk amongst African refugees and asylum seekers in Hong Kong”.|
|2011-2016||Health & Health Service Research Fund, Food & Health Bureau, HKSAR (#UW10-368, $1,870,000), In depth cost-effectiveness study of the Patient Empowerment Program (PEP) of the Hospital Authority.”|
|2011-2012||PDAS, Commerce and Economic Development Bureau, HKSAR (#2010-407, $226,000), Enahncing Qaulity Primary Care through Evidence and Research in Hong Kong”.|
|2011-2012||University Seed Grant for basic research (#201103159005, $120,000), The Road to a better health and integration: A two-phased project in addressing health status and health access amongst new arrivals in Hong Kong”.|
|2007-2009||AIDS Trust Fund (PPE, 562PM; PPE596PJ, $2,695,500), “To establish a community-based outreach service for sex wokrers to prevent and manage HIV/ STI in Hong Kong “.|
|2006-2007||GSK ($93,000), “Attitudes towards sex, Lifestyle, Health and the Future among female university students”.|
|2005-2006||Direct Grant, Research Committee Funding, CUHK ($688,000), “Effects of isoflavones in patients with watchful waiting benign prostate hyperplasia”.|
|2005-2006||Health Care and Promotion Fund, HK SAR Government ($300,000), “Developing and evaluating a peer education program for Sexual Health Promotion to target early school leavers in Hong Kong”.|
|2005-2006||Research Fund for the Control of Infectious Diseases, HKSAR (#03040172, $688,525), “To determine the Prevalence and risk factors of STDs/ HIV infections for female street and brothel sex workers in Hong Kong”.|
|2004-2005||Centre for the Emerging Infectious Diseases, CUHK ($80,000), “Potential clinical and economic impact of an outreach healthcare service for prevention of sexually transmitted diseases in Hong Kong”.|
|2003-2004||Teaching Development Grant (Health Science) ($48,345), “Development of a comprehensive web-enabled learning system: A collaborative project”.|
|2003-2004||Pfizer Pharmaceutical (#6901537, $100,000), “Men’s Health Screening Program”.|
|2002-2003||Direct Grant, Research Committee Funding, CUHK (ZJIE0080, $60,000), “Development and Analysis of Primary Care Prescribing Database”.|
|2019-2021||UGC Early Career Scheme (ECS) (#7607518, $877,176), “The safe use of dating applications (apps) among men who have sex with men: developing and testing an interactive web-based intervention to reduce risky sexual behaviours”.|
|2015-2018||General Research Fund, University Grant Council (#14607415, $400,000), “Love’s Refuge: The Meanings of Intimacy for African Asylum-seekers and Refugees in Hong Kong”.|
|2013-2016||NIH R01 Grant (#1D43TW009532-01, $4,680,000), “D43 Training Center (UNC-South China STI Research Training Center)”.|
|2014||Shenzhen Science and Technology Innovation Committee (#JCYJ2014041409, RMB 50,000), “深圳市代谢综合征患者就医选择及其影响因素的质性研究”.|
|2013-2014||Harvard China Center ($72,000), “Patient-Physician Trust and Mistrust in China: A Qualitative Study”.|
|2011-2016||Health & Health Service Research Fund, Food & Health Bureau, HKSAR (#UW 10-369, $1,880,000), “In-depth cost-effectiveness study of the Multidisciplinary Risk Factor Assessment and Management Program (RAMP) of the Hospital Authority”.|
|2011-2016||Health & Health Service Research Fund, Food & Health Bureau, HKSAR (#PEC-HKU-2, $5,685,000), “Extended evaluation of quality of care of chronic disease management programs and public-private partnership programs of the Hospital Authority”.|
|2011-2012||Seed Grant for Basic Science, HKU (#201011159173, $67,590), “Towards a new concept of justice: exploring the economic, social and cultural inequalities of new arrival women from mainland China”.|
|2008-2010||General Practice Education & Training, fully funded by Australian Government ($196,800), “Effectiveness of GPET and RACGP Training on registrars in Australia”.|
|2007-2009||AIDS Trust Fund (#PPE557PJ, $478,000), “Midnight Blue Action: Hong Kong male sex workers AIDS Prevention project”.|
|2005-2007||Health and Health Services Research Fund, HKSAR Government (#PPE557PJ, $427,265), “Incentive and barriers to adopting the family doctor model in Hong Kong- an in-depth qualitative study of views, knowledge and attitudes of patients”.|
|2004-2006||Direct Grant, Research Committee Funding, CUHK ($62,500), “Improving General Practitioners’ Interviewing Skills in Managing Patients with Common Psychiatric Problems in Primary Care: A Randomized Control Clinical Trial”.|
|2004-2005||PRB Pharmaceuticals ($2,400,000), “A multicentre, double-blind randomised controlled trial comparing the efficacy and safety of the VIRA-38 verus Oseltamivir in patients with acute influenza”.|
|2004||Glaxo Smith Kline ($400,000), “Development of Management Guidelines for Osteoarthritis in Primary Care”.|
|2003-2005||International Society of Infectious Diseases (External Competitive Grant) ($46,800), “A Pilot Study of HIV Counselling to Increase Willingness to Receive Premarital HIV Testing among Marriage License Applicants in a Rural Area of China”.|
|2003-2004||Boehringer Ingelheim (HK) Ltd. ($70,000), “Evaluation of Pulmonary Rehabilitation on patients with Chronic Obstructive Airway Disease with Dr. Martin Lindsay, Visiting Scholar”.|
Honorary Appointments (Overseas Institutions)
|2017-2020||Advisory Professor, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, China|
|2016-2019||Honorary Associate Professor/ Reader, School of Medicine, Flinders University, Australia|
|2015-2017||Adjunct Professor, Shenzhen Continuous Medical Education Centre, Shenzhen Health & Family Commission, China|
|2014-2017||Distinguished Expert, Zeng Yi Work Station, No. 2 People’s Hospital of Dali City, Yunnan, China|
|2013-2019||Training faculty and key personnel for the South China STI/HIV. Regional Training Center, Guangzhou, China supported by National Institute of Health, USA|
Advisory for World Health Organization
|23-25 Sept 2017||WHO Temporary Advisor at Expert Consultations on “Advancing Implementation Research on HIV, Syphilis and Hepatitis in Asia”. Guangzhou, China.|
|29-30 Nov 2015||WHO Temporary Advisor at Biregional Expert Consultations on “Advancing Implementation Research on HIV/AIDS in Asia”. Tokyo Japan.|
|26-27 Nov 2014||WHO Temporary Advisor at Biregional Meeting on the “Dissemination and Rollout of the WHO 2014 Consolidated Guidelines on HIV Prevention, Diagnosis and Care for the Key Population”, WHO West Pacific Headquarter, Manila.|
|18-23 Mar 2014||WHO Temporary Advisor to provide Technical Support in “Implementing WHO Recommendations for Care Services for MSM and Transgender People”. Kunming, Yunnan CDC, China.|
|18-21 Mar 2013||WHO Temporary Technical Advisor for “IHBSS among transgender women in Cebu”. Philippines.|
|11-13 Sept 2012||WHO Temporary Advisor to provide Technical Support as Consultant on “HIV, STI and other Health Needs of Transgender People in Asia and The Pacific”. Manila, Philippines, led to the publication of a WHO guideline, “Prevention and Treatment of HIV and other STI among MSM and Transgender People”.|
Contributor/ Reviewer for International Guidelines
|2019-2010||Deputy Chair, Guideline Writing Panel, National Hepatitis B management national guideline for primary care in China. The Chinese Medical Association GP Section.|
|15-22 Aug 2019||Expert review panel for WHO, “The WHO consolidated guidelines on HIV testing services”|
|External Reviewer for: HIV self-testing (HIVST) and partner notification (APN) guidelines, 2016. Accessible at: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/251655/1/9789241549868-eng.pdf?ua=1|
|External Reviewer for: Blueprint for the Provision of Comprehensive Care for Trans People and Trans Communities in Asia and the Pacific, 2015. Accessible at: http://www.asia-pacific.undp.org/content/rbap/en/home/library/democratic_governance/hiv_aids/blueprint-for-the-provision-of-comprehensive-care-for-trans-peop.html|
|External Reviewer for: WHO Consolidated Guidance on HIV Prevention, Treatment and Care for the Key Populations, 2014. Accessible at: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/128048/1/9789241507431_eng.pdf?ua=1&ua=1|
|Technical Support as a WHO Consultant led to the publication of a WHO guideline, Prevention and Treatment of HIV and other STI among MSM and Transgender People, 2014. Accessible at: http://www.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/44619/1/9789241501750_eng.pdf?ua=1|
Advisory or Consultant for Overseas Governments
|April 2013||Invited by National Health System Resource Center (Think tank of Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India) to advise on Indian primary care development|
|2008-10||Commissioned by General Practice Education & Training Ltd (fully owned by the Australian Government) to evaluate the Effectiveness of vocational GP Training in Australia|
Chair/ Board Membership for International Agencies
|19-20 Aug 2019||WONCA Practice Accreditation Assessor|
|2017–2019||Advisory Board, The Network: Towards Union for Health: International organisation to foster equitable community-orientated health services, education, research and policy)|
|2017 to present||Board Member, WONCA Working Party on Education|
|2014 to present||Convener, WONCA Special Interest Group (SIG) in Health Equity
|2013 to present||Board Member, WONCA Research Working Party|
|2004||International expert panels for a sexual behaviour questionnaire. Commissioned by Glaxo Smithkline Pharmaceutical Ltd, UK.|
|2001 to present||Medical Advisor to Barry & Martin Trust, a UK-based NGO on HIV Care|
Consultancy and Advisor for the Hong Kong Government and Agencies
|18 Sept 2018||Invited to present the findings of “Prevalence and risk factors of Chlamydia in Hong Kong: A population-based geospatial household survey and testing” at Scientific Committee on AIDS and STI (SCAS), HKSAR Government|
|2016-2019||Expert advice on preparation of “Training resources to enhance sensitivity of healthcare professionals towards sexual minority”. Commissioned by the Constitutional & Mainland Affair Bureau, HKSAR Government.|
|2017-2021||Recommended HIV/AIDS Strategies for Hong Kong. Hong Kong Advisory Council on AIDS. May 2017 (Appendix 7)|
|2003-2006||Medical Consultant for Ziteng, NGO for sex workers’ rights and welfare|
|2004-2015||Project Consultant for Salvation Army|
Research leadership and International Collaboration
- Integrated prevention, testing and treatment strategies for chlamydia trachomatis (CT) infection among key populations in Guangdong-Hongkong-Macao Greater Bay Area (粤港澳大湾区重点人群生殖道沙眼衣原体感染预防治疗一体化策略研究) led by Southern Medical University and The University of Hong Kong and was selected to be 第二届粤港澳大湾区卫生与健康合作大会合作项目.
- Stepping out of the box: Decentralizing integrated HIV and STI services to community health centres in China. PI: Wong WCW. Co-Is: Zhu SZ, Liang SF, Peng MH (Fudan University, China); Lo YJ (WHO); Roland M (University of Cambridge, UK); Kidd MR (Flinders University, Australia); Ong J (Monash University, Australia), Lam CLK (HKU).
- Led to 4 high-impact journal publications and one under review
- Pilot was conducted in Guangzhou in 2017
- Led to NSFC application in 2016 and now re-applied in 2017
- Rebuilding patient-physician trust in China. PI: Tucker JD (UNC) Co-I: Cheng Y (Anthropologist, Zhonghu University); Wong B (Stanford, US), Nie JB (University of Auckland, NZ), McLaughlin MM (US), Wong WCW, (HKU) Kleinman A (Anthropologist and psychiatrist, Harvard, USA) Funded by Harvard China Center.
- Rebuilding Patient-Physician Trust in China: A Multi-Disciplinary Summit, Harvard Asia Center, Shanghai (2015)
- A White paper is published. Assessable at: http://ghsm.hms.harvard.edu/rebuilding-patient–physiciantrust-china
- IPPC: India Prescribing & Clinical Behaviour database in Primary Care. PI: Wong WCW. Co-Is: Shah V (Christian Medical College, Vellore); Britt H (University of Sydney, Australia); Dickinson JA (University of Calgary, Canada).
- Research Advisory Committee, Department of Distance Education
Christian Medical College, Vellore, India
- Research Advisory Committee, Department of Distance Education
- Population-based cohort on childhood maltreatment among middle school adolescents in Guangzhou. PI: Wong WCW. Co-Is: Chen WQ (Zhong Shan University, China); Tang C (NUS Singapore); Wang Wei (Capital University, Beijing).
- Led to Publications No. 4, 67, 68 & 77
- Population-based Youth Risk behavioural surveillance among middle school adolescents in Hong Kong, Macau, Taipei and Guangzhou. PI: Lee A (CUHK). Co-Is: Wong WCW, Wang SY (Taiwan), Chan STM (Macau), Wang XL (China).
- Led to Publications No. 42, 52, 64, 91, 104 & 119
Guest Editor, Special issues on:
- Complementary Medicine for Sexual and Reproductive Health, European Journal of Integrative Medicine (2016)
- Health System on HIV Care, Sexually Transmitted Infection (2012; 88)
- Infectious Diseases in Primary Care. Hong Kong Practitioner (2006:29 no. 4)
- STI (2008-2016)
- BMC Infectious Disease (2013-now)
- BMC journal of Medical Case Reports (2007-now)
- Journal of Primary Care and Health Promotion (2004-05)
Editorial Board Member
- OMIS Community Medicine & Health Education (2012- current)
- Journal of Family Medicine & Primary Care (Official publication of the Academy of Family Physicians of India (2011-current)
- Hong Kong Medical Journal (2005-08)
- Hong Kong Practitioners (2004-08)
Organising Committee Chair
- Scientific Subcommittee, 4th AMM-AMS-HKAM Tripartite Congress cum 53rd Singapore-Malaysia Congress of Medicine & HKPCC (2019)
- Hong Kong Primary Care Conferences (2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019)
- Beijing, HK, Macau and Taiwan 4-Party Primary Care Conference (2014)
- The Third Family Medicine and Primary Care Symposium at HKU: "Implementing Quality Primary Care" (2017)
- The First Family Medicine and Primary Care Symposium at HKU: "Enhancing Quality Primary Care Through Research and Evidence in Hong Kong" (2011)
Organising Committee Member
- 4th AMM-AMS-HKAM Tripartite Congress cum 53rd Singapore - Malaysia Congress of Medicine & Hong Kong Primary Care Conference (2019)
- Combination HIV prevention Strategy-What are the options for Hong Kong? AIDS Concern; co-organised by The University of Hong Kong. 2019
- 25th Anniversary Congress of the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine. HKAM Jockey Club Building, Hong Kong. 2018
- Asia Pacific Conference of Sexually Transmitted Infections and Prevention, (IUSTI; Thailand 2014; Japan 2016; New Zealand 2018);
- Building Trust: A Global Challenge in Health System Reform (Towards Union for Health; Shenyang 2016)
Scientific Committee Member
- The Network: Towards Unity for Health, Shengyang, China (2016)
- IUSTI Asia Pacific Conference, Bangkok, Thailand (2016 & 2014)
- Rebuilding Patient-Physician Trust in China: A Multi-Disciplinary Summit, Harvard Asia Center, Shanghai (2015)
- WONCA Regional Conference, Hong Kong (2009)
Abstract Review Panel
- AIDS Conference (2016); 2nd Asia-Pacific International Society of Pharmaco-economics and Outcomes Research (2006)
Plenary Speaker / Keynote Speaker
- The role of research in family medicine. (2019 Lingnan General Practitioner Summit Forum and National Gerneral Pratice Train-the-trainers in Hospital Training Enhancement Class (2019嶺南全科醫學高峰論壇暨全國全科住培師資教學查房能力提高班), Guangzhou, China (17th August 2019)
- How to improve DM Care in Hong Kong: Risk Assessment Management Programme. Cross Strait Medical Exchange Association Annual General Practice Conference. Cheng Zhou, China. (25th Mar-1st Apr 2019)
- Taking medical and sexual history from a sexual minority. HIV-STI Confernece by Primary Health Care Professionals. Organised by Red Ribbon Centre, Department of Health. Cordis Hotel, Hong Kong. (16th November 2019)
- Prevention and intervention strategies for sexually transmitted infections: real-life examples’ at IUSTI-AP Conference. Fuyue Hotel, Shanghai, China. (23-26th October 2019)
- Role of STIs in Infertility. Generation ZEX Education Symposium, Hong Kong. (28 June 2018)
- Secrets, shame and guilt: HIV disclosure in rural Chinese families from the perspective of caregivers. HIV Conference, Dali. (6-8 Dec 2017)
- Prevalence and risk factors of Chlamydia in Hong Kong: A population-based geospatial household survey and testing. International Conference on STDs and HIV. Movenpick Hotel, Dubai. (1-2 December 2016)
- National Workshop on "Universal Health Care in a Rights-based Framework: Learning from International Experience," Organised by National Health System Resource Center (Think-tank to advise Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India), Academy of Family Physicians of India, Public Health Resource Network, Oxfam India. (19th April 2013)
- HIV training workshop for primary care doctors in rural China, Yunnan. Co-organised by the No. 2 People's Hospital of Dali City and Barry & Martin Trust, UK. (24 Feb- 2 Mar 2011)
- A decade of displaced emphases in HIV/STI prevention among FSW in Hong Kong/ China. Family Medicine and Primary Care Symposium, The University of Hong Kong.(25-26 November, 2011)
- Research that makes a difference to the health of the people: The role of research in General Practice. Shanghai Medical Association General Practice Academic Meeting (上海市医学会全科医学学术年会), Shanghai. (16 July, 2011)
- Research that makes a difference to the health of the people: The Role of General Practice. Chinese Medical Association, Shanghai (16 November 2011)
- Wong WCW. Use of Social Media in Health Promotion. 4th AMM-AMS-HKAM Tripartite Congress cum 53rd Singapore - Malaysia Congress of Medicine & Hong Kong Primary Care Conference. Hong Kong Academy of Medicine. HKAM Jockey Club Building, Hong Kong. (6-7th Dec 2019)
- Wong WCW. “The role of research in General Practice” Resident Training Summit. Beijing Organised by Chinese Medical Doctors’ Association. (30th-31st Aug 2019)
- . Role of Social Media in tackling HIV/STI amongst Hong Kong's youth Combination HIV prevention Strategy-What are the options for Hong Kong? AIDS Concern, The University of Hong Kong. 19/01/2019.
- . Role of Family Medicine in Sexually Transmitted Infections. In: Beyond 25: New Paradigms in Healthcare, 25th Anniversary Congress of the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine. HKAM Jockey Club Building, Hong Kong. (7-8 December 2018)
- Saxton P, Sherwood J, MacGregor S, Guy R, Ishikawa N, . Trends of STI diagnosis in the Asia/ Pacific. In: Surveillance of STI and HIV updates. IUSTI Asia Pacific Sexual Health Congress. Pullman Hotel, Auckland 30/10-1/11/2018
- Healy C, Chow E, , Werder S. Sex work: lesson from Hong Kong and China. In: Cross Stream Session- Sex work: Identifying current issues and gaps and future directions. IUSTI Asia Pacific Sexual Health Congress. Pullman Hotel, Auckland 30/10-1/11/2018
- Yu K, . Addressing health inequity in Hong Kong & China. In: Health Equity across nations. World WONCA Congress 2018. Inchoen Sheraton Hotel/ CoEx complex, Gangnam-gu, Seoul. 17th-21th October 2018
- , Yu K, Furler J. Applying Health Equity Lenses in Your Own Healthcare Setting. In: Health Equity across nations. World WONCA Congress 2018. Inchoen Sheraton Hotel/ CoEx complex, Gangnam-gu, Seoul. 17th- 21th October 2018
- . The pedagogy, clinical training, and research of general practice education in China, Hong Kong, and abroad (国内外、香港的全科教学理念、临床培训经验、科研发展). Huazhong University of Science and Technology Hospital Symposium (湖北华中科技大学校医院座谈会). Wu Han (16-18 Nov 2017)
- . Bridging the gaps between patients and primary care in China: A nationwide representative survey. The Lancet-CAMS Health Summit 2017. Beijing, China. (13-14 Oct 2017)
- . Stepping out of the box - primary care physicians and HIV, hepatitis and syphilis elimination. WHO Expert Consultation on Advancing Implementation Research on Syphilis, HIV, and Hepatitis. Guangdong Yingbin Hotel, Guangzhou, China. (23-25 Sept 2017)
- . Time To Rethink Our STI Control Strategies: Representative Survey And Testing For Prevalence And Contextual Risk Factors Of Chlamydial Infection In Hong Kong. (重新考虑我们性病控制策略之时：对香港衣原体感染流行及相关危险因素的典型调查和检验所引发的思考). 2017 National Conference on HIV/AIDS (2017年艾滋病学术大会). Guangzhou Dong Fong Hotel, Guangzhou. (26-29 Sept 2017)
- . An Evidence-Based Health Promotion Project. Briefing session cum grant skills training workshop. Organised by Health Care and Promotion Scheme (17 April 2017)
- . Motivational Interviewing (MI) and the pilot study using MI to empower DM patients The Third Cross-Strait GP Conference (第三届海峡两岸全科医学大会). Cross-Strait Exchange Association Committee Meeting (海峡两岸医药卫生交流协会全科医学专业委员会). The Coli Hotel, Shenzhen. (4-6 March 2017)
- , Zhu SZ, Ong J, Peng MH, Lam CLK, Kidd MR, Roland M, Jiang SF. Availability and use of primary care facilities in China: a nationwide representative survey. The Lancet-CAMS Health Summit. Grand Hyatt Hotel, Beijing. (30-31 October 2016)
- , Lian JX, McGhee SM, So C, Chau J, Wong CKH, Lam CLK. Cost-effectiveness Analysis of Patient Empowerment Programme on Diabetes Mellitus. Health Research Symposium. (Poster Presentation) (16 June 2017)
- . Health Care and Promotion Scheme: 2017 Briefing cum Grant Skills Training Workshop. Research Secretariat, Food & Health Bureau, HKSAR. (5 May 2017)
- . Chlamydia: a case of mass screening in Hong Kong. Research Seminar in Primary Care. JC School of Public Health & Primary Care, Prince of Wales Hospital, CUHK (29 Step 2016)
- as a Panellist: Leading the revolution in STI diagnostics and management. Cepheid VIP Event, The London Edition (7-8 June 2016).
- Liu RH, . "I can't do it doc": Workshop on how to manage erectile dysfunction in your practice. National Primary Care Conference, HKU-SZ hospital (14-15 May 2016).
- . Workshop on "Research that makes a difference to the health of the people: The role of research in General Practice". The 5th Teacher's Training Course, Commission for Health and Family Planning appointed General Practice Training Centre, Fudan University, Shanghai. (26-30 April 2016)
- , Li J, Chen KK, Lin XP. The effects of Patient Empowerment Project (PEP) for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) using Motivational Interviewing. The 3rd Cross-Straits Medicine Exchange General Practice Conference. (4-6 Mar2016)
- as a Panelist: Rebuilding Patient-Physician Trust in China: A Multi-Disciplinary Summit Organized by the Harvard Asia Center. (10-11/10/2015).
- Mash B, Targa L, , Kumar R, Maeseneer. Strengthening the primary care health system through appropriately trained primary care doctors – lessons from the global south. Two workshops at 2014 annual meeting of The Network: Towards Unity for Health to be held in Fortaleza, Brazil. (November 19-23, 2014).
- , EA Holroyd, Kim K, Yuen WYW. Two decades of misplaced emphases on HIV prevention amongst female sex workers in Hong Kong and China. IUSTI Asia Pacific Conference. Ambassador Hotel, Bangkok. (11-14/11/2014).
- , Tucker J, LG Yang. To Determine Prevalence and Contextual Risk Factors of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) in Hong Kong. IUSTI Asia Pacific Conference. Ambassador Hotel, Bangkok. (11-14/11/2014).
- . Specialist in Family Medicine - Training, the Hong Kong College of Family Physicians. 2014 West Lake International Conference on General Practice; The founding Conference of the Committee of GP, Cross-straits Medicine Exchange Association. Zijingang International Hotel, Hangzhou. (21-24 Oct 014).
- . Embrace All: Role of Family Physicians in Addressing Health Inequality. 4th Hong Kong Primary Care Conference (HKPCC) and 4-Party General Practice/ Family Medicine Conference. (6-8 June 2014).
- . (Key speaker delivered three workshops on: 1. Research methods; how to research on sensitive issues; 2. details of qualitative studies; 3. Breaking bad news (HIV +ve case)) Workshop of implementing WHO recommendations for management of sexually transmitted infections among men who have sex with men; held by WHO West pacific Office at Yunnan Provincial CDC. (18-23 March 2014).
- . Embrace All in Addressing Health Inequality. Future Leader Initiative Programme. CUHK. (12-20 July 2014).
- , Lam CLK. Experience of Setting up and Running a GP Department at a 3A Hospital. First Peking university Health Science Center (PKUHSC) International Forum of General Practice & Second GP's Elite faculty Training, Beijing. (18-20 October 2013)
- . Ripples can turn into a storm: Two stories of HIV intervention programs in China. ‘Breaking and Making the Humanitarian,' Organised by Centre for the Humanities and Medicine, The University of Hong Kong (25-26 April 2013).
- . Equity and Primary Care. First National Conference on Family Medicine & Primary of India, New Delhi. (20-21 April 2013).
- Young D, , Chiu BCF. Introductory Workshop on Research Segment & Clinical Audit Segment for 2013/14 Full Exit Examination. HKCFP (Oct 20th 2012).
- . Two courses on Sex and Sexual Health and Physicians-patients relations and Interpersonal skills, Huizhou General Practice Training Course (惠州市全科医学培训班). (8 October 2011, 31 March 2012).
- . Research that makes a difference to the health of the people: The role of research in General Practice. Shanghai Medical Association General Practice Academic Meeting (上海市医学会全科医学学术年会), Shanghai. (16 July, 2011).
- , EA Holroyd, Kim K, Yuen WYW. A decade of displaced emphases in HIV/STI prevention among FSW in Hong Kong/ China. Family Medicine and Primary Care Symposium, The University of Hong Kong. (25-26 November, 2011).
- . Introduction to Men's Health, Men's Health Training to Healthcare Professionals organised by the Health Bureau of the Government of Macao Special Administrative Region. (13 August, 2011).
- . Involving the ‘hard-to reach': Developing and Evaluating a Peer Education Sexual Health Program to target early school leavers (ESLs) in Hong Kong, "From Awareness to Action: Cross-sector partnerships for healthy environment and healthy people" Health Promotion Symposium 2011, Hong Kong. (Poster Presentation) (18 November 2011).
- . Research into Sensitive Issues (Seminar). Annual Scientific Meeting, The Hong Kong College of Family Physicians. Hong Kong Primary Care Conference. (28-29 May 2011).