Dr. Eric Wan is currently an Assistant Professor at the Department of Family Medicine and Primary Care, and the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy of The University of Hong Kong. He obtained his degree of B.Sc. in Computing Mathematics with First Class Honour from the City University of Hong Kong and M.Sc. in Statistics with Distinction from the University of Nottingham in UK. Following the completion of his Ph.D. in family medicine and medical statistics from the University of Hong Kong, he worked as a medical statistician in the University of Oxford. He was also a Chartered Statistician (CStat) from the Royal Statistical Society, and a Professional Statistician (PStat®) from the American Statistical Association.
Eric is an experienced epidemiologist and medical statistician in health and health service research, and published several papers in international journals. Currently, he is continuing to pursue his interest in medication safety, pharmacoepidemiology, epidemiology, public health and health intervention/service using big data cohort.
Key Research Areas
- Big data research: epidemiology and pharmacoepidemiology
- Risk prediction modelling
- Health and health service research including cost-effectiveness analysis
Eric Wan has published more than 100 articles in peer-reviewed international journal, in particular the big data cohort study in the evaluation of effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of various health interventions and services, and epidemiology in hypertension, diabetes and multi-morbidity.
The selected 10 publications can be found below.
- 1. Kam S Chan, Eric YF Wan*, Weng-Yee Chin, Esther YT Yu, Ivy L Mak, Will HG Cheng, Margaret K Ho, Cindy LK Lam. Association between team-based continuity of care and risk of cardiovascular diseases among patients with diabetes: a retrospective cohort study. Diabetes Care. 2022 (IF 19.112, 5/145 in Endocrinology & Metabolism)
- Eric YF Wan, Celine SL Chui, Francisco TT Lai, Esther WY Chan, Xue Li, Vincent KC Yan, Le Gao, Qiuyan Yu, Ivan CH Lam, Raccoon KC Chung, Benjamin J Cowling, WC Fong, Alexander YL Lau, Vincent CT Mok, Frank LF Chan, CK Lee, Lot ST Chan, Dawin Lo, KK Lau, Ivan FN Hung, Gabriel M Leung, Ian CK Wong. Analysis of Bell's Palsy Following Vaccination with mRNA (Comirnaty) and inactivated (CoronaVac) SARS-CoV-2 vaccines: a case series and nested case-control study. The Lancet Infectious Diseases. 2021. (in press). (IF 25.071, 1/92 in Infectious Diseases)
- Eric YF Wan, Weng-Yee Chin, Esther YT Yu, Ian CK Wong, Esther WY Chan, Shirley X Li, Nico KL Cheung, Y Wang, Cindy LK Lam. The impact of cardiovascular disease and chronic kidney disease on life expectancy and direct medical cost in a 10-year diabetes cohort study. Diabetes Care. 2020; doi: https://doi.org/10.2337/dc19-2137 (IF 19.112, 5/145 in Endocrinology & Metabolism)
- Eric YF Wan, Esther YT Yu, Weng-Yee Chin, Daniel YT Fong, Edmond PH Choi, Cindy LK Lam. Association of Blood Pressure and risk of Cardiovascular and Chronic Kidney Disease in Hong Kong Hypertensive Patients. Hypertension. 2019; 74(2):331-40; doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.119.13123 (IF 10.190, 3/65 in Peripheral vascular disease)
- Eric YF Wan, Wing-Tung Fung, C Mary Schooling, Shiu Lun Au Yeung, Man-Ki Kwok, Esther YT Yu, Yuan Wang, Esther WY Chan, Ian CK Wong, Cindy LK Lam. Blood pressure and Risk of Cardiovascular disease in UK Biobank: A Mendelian randomization study. Hypertension. 2020. (in press). (IF 10.190, 3/65 in Peripheral vascular disease)
- Eric YF Wan, Esther YT Yu, Weng-Yee Chin, Daniel YT Fong, Edmond PH Choi, Eric HM Tang, Cindy LK Lam. Burden of CKD and Cardiovascular Disease on Life Expectancy and Health Service Utilization: a Cohort Study of Hong Kong Chinese Hypertensive Patients. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2019; 30 (10) 1991-1999; doi: 10.1681/ASN.2018101037 (IF 10.121, Rank 6/90 in UROLOGY & NEPHROLOGY).
- Eric YF Wan, Esther YT Yu, Weng-Yee Chin, Colman SC Fung, Daniel YT Fong, Edmond PH Choi, Anca KC Chan, Cindy LK Lam. Effect of Achieved Systolic Blood Pressure on Cardiovascular Outcomes in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus - A Population-based Retrospective Cohort Study. Diabetes Care. 2018; 41 (6): 1134-1141 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2337/dc17-2443. (IF 19.112, 5/145 in Endocrinology & Metabolism)
- Eric YF Wan, Colman SC Fung, Frances FF Jiao, Esther YT Yu, Weng-Yee Chin, Daniel YT Fong, Carlos KH Wong, Anca KC Chan, Karina HY Chan, Ruby LP Kwok, Cindy LK Lam. Five-Year Effectiveness of the Multidisciplinary Risk Assessment and Management Programme–Diabetes Mellitus (RAMP-DM) on Diabetes-Related Complications and Health Service Uses—A Population-Based and Propensity-Matched Cohort Study. Diabetes Care 2018; 41:49-59 doi: 10.2337/dc17-0426 (IF 19.112, 5/145 in Endocrinology & Metabolism)
- Eric YF Wan, Colman SC Fung, Esther YT Yu, Daniel YT Fong, Weng-Yee Chin, Andrew KC Chan, Cindy LK Lam. Do we need a Patient-centred Target for Systolic Blood Pressure in Hypertensive Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus? Hypertension 2017; 70 (Nov):1273-1282. DOI: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.117.10034. (IF 10.190, 3/65 in Peripheral vascular disease)
- Eric YF Wan, Colman SC Fung, Esther YT Yu, Daniel YT Fong, Julie Y Chan, Cindy LK Lam. Association of Visit-to-visit variability of Systolic Blood Pressure with Cardiovascular Diseases and Mortality in Chinese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus – A Retrospective Population-based Cohort Study. Diabetes Care 2016 doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/dc16-1617 (IF 19.112, 5/145 in Endocrinology & Metabolism)
- Eric YF Wan, Colman SC Fung, Carlos KH Wong, Weng-Yee Chin, Cindy LK Lam. Association of Hemoglobin A1c Levels With Cardiovascular Disease and Mortality in Chinese Patients With Diabetes. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2016 67(4), 456-458. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2015.11.020 (IF 24.094, 4/142 in Cardiac & cardiovascular system)
|2020 - 2022||Health and Medical Research Fund Research Fellowship Scheme HK$1,135,398, “When should statin therapy be initiated for patients with diabetes mellitus - A target randomized controlled trial emulation using big data.”|
|2019 - 2021||Seed Fund for Basic Research (#201906159003, HK$149,886), “Pilot study on the association between blood pressure and risk of vascular and non-vascular diseases”|
|2019 - 2020||HKU Teaching Development Grant (TDG) Award (HK$100,000), “Identifying and articulating the student learning experience in the MBBS 130 curriculum Enrichment Year”|
|2021 - 2026||P.I. CLK Lam Food and Health Bureau Commissioned Research on the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). # COVID19F08. (HK$9,334,600), The long term spill-over impact of COVID-19 on health and healthcare of patients with non-communicable diseases: an in-depth outcome and health economic evaluation.|
|2019 - 2021||Research Grants Council Early Career Scheme Grant (# 27607518, HK$877,176), “The safe use of dating applications (apps) among men who have sex with men: developing and testing an interactive web-based intervention to reduce risky sexual behaviours.” (P.I. EPH Choi, School of Nursing, the University of Hong Kong)|
|2018 - 2021||P.I. EPH Choi, Enhanced New Staff Start-up Research Grant (HK$380,000), The unmet needs, symptoms distress and psychosocial profile of Chines patients with prostate cancer, a prospective longitudinal study.|
|2017 - 2020||Health and Medical Research Fund (#14151571, HK$1,200,000), “In-depth exploration of a bidirectional parent-child health relationship and its mediating and moderating factors among low-income families in Hong Kong.” (P.I. EYT Yu, Department of Family Medicine & Primary care, the University of Hong Kong)|
|2017 - 2020||Health and Medical Research Fund (#14151181, HK$1,200,000), “10-year risk predication models of complications and mortality of DM in Chinese patients in primary care in HK”. (P.I. CLK Lam, Department of Family Medicine & Primary care, the University of Hong Kong)|
Seeking MPhil/PhD candidates
We are seeking highly organised and motivated graduate students to conduct research in the areas of medication safety, pharmacoepidemiology, epidemiology, public health and health intervention/service using big data cohort. Currently, we focus on the following research area:
- To evaluate the effect of risk factors (e.g. body mass index, blood pressure) associated on Cardiovascular diseases in patients with diabetes mellitus.
- To develop the prediction models for cardiovascular diseases in patients with diabetes mellitus using both traditional and innovative methods such as machine learning.
We are also welcome any new reseach idea in these areas. For further information about the project and suitability, please email Dr. Eric Wan (email@example.com).
Honours and Awards
- The Hong Kong College of Family Physicians Best Research 2020 (as co-author)
- Best Research Paper Award Hong Kong Primary Care Conference 2020 (as First author)
- The Hong Kong College of Family Physicians Best Research 2019 (as First author)
- Faculty of Medicine Outstanding Research Output Award, 2019 (as First author)
- Best Research Paper Award Hong Kong Primary Care Conference 2019 (as co-author)
- Best Poster Award, 7th Asia Pacific Primary Care Research Conference 2019 (as co-author)
- Best Contribution to Family Medicine Award World Organization of Family Doctors (WONCA), 2018 (as First author)
- 1st Distinguished Research Making Family Medicine Shine Award World Organization of Family Doctors (WONCA), 2018 (as First author)
- Hong Kong College of Family Physicians Best Research Award, 2017 (as co-author)
- Hong Kong College of Family Physicians Best Research Award, 2016 (as co-author)
- Best Poster Presentation Award the 6th Hong Kong International Nursing Forum, 2015 (as First author)
- Distinguished Paper Award North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG) Annual Meeting,2014 (as co-author)